Asian date mussel/bag mussel (Musculista senhousia)
What to look for
- Prefers soft sediments but also fouls artificial hard surfaces.
Up to 20 m depth.
- Can form mats on soft sediments smothering bottom communities & altering food availability.
- Portland & Port Phillip Bay, Vic;
- estuary mouths in northern Tas;
- Cockburn Sound,
- Lower Swan River & Fremantle, WA
What you can do
- Inspect & clean niche areas & antifoul boat hulls regularly.
- Clean & dry equipment before transporting & using in a different location.
More information on this pest can be found on the National Introduced Marine Pest Information System.