Black striped mussel (Mytilopsis sallei)
- Shells unequal in size, one side overlaps the other
- Shell is smooth, small and easily crushed
- Forms dense clusters
- Shell sometimes zig zagged or striped
- Up to 2.5 cm long
- Subtropical to tropical
- Estuarine to marine
- Up to a few metres depth
- Hard vertical surfaces (e.g.
hulls & pylons)
- Fast growing & can displace native species
- Mass fouling of wharf pylons, marinas, vessel water intake systems & marine farms
What you can do
- Inspect & clean niche areas & antifoul your vessel regularly
- Clean & dry equipment before transporting & using in a different location
Read the national biofouling management guidelines for your sector.
Report immediately Outside known locations!
- Note the exact locations
- If possible, collect a sample and freeze in a plastic bag or take a photo
- See www.marinepests.gov.au for your state contacts