European green shore crab (Carcinus maenas)
What to look for
- 5 spines on each side of eyes.
- Last pair of legs sharp & slightly flattened at tips.
- No swimming paddles.
- Shell surface smooth.
- Smooth green/brown shell with pale orange underside.
- Shell up to 7 cm wide.
- Prefers bays/estuaries but found on all types of shores up to 60m depth.
- Tolerates temperatures up to 30 C.
- Aggressive predator, out-competes natives for food & habitat.
What you can do
- Inspect & clean niche areas & antifoul your vessel regularly.
- Clean & dry equipment before transporting & using in a different location.
More information on this pest can be found on the National Introduced Marine Pest Information System.