Japanese kelp/Wakame (Undaria pinnatifida)
What to look for
- Frilly sporophyll near base of mature plant.
- Mature plant only found from early winter to late summer.
- Strap-like midrib.
- Smooth thin blades stop well short of base.
- Generally brown/green.
- Up to 1m long, sometimes to 3m.
- Cold temperate ocean waters. Lower intertidal to 20 m depth.
- Rock, reef and stones, artificial structures and aquaculture equipment.
- Can rapidly form dense forests on any available space & overgrows natives.
- Near-shore habitats along south-east and east coast Tasmania
- Port Phillip Bay Victoria
What you can do
- Familiarise yourself with the national best practice management biofouling guidelines for your sector at www.marinepests.gov.au.
- Inspect & clean niche areas & antifoul your vessels regularly.
- Clean & dry equipment before transporting & using in a different location.
- Check anchors & other equipment for tangled algae. .
More information on this pest can be found on the National Introduced Marine Pest Information System.