Northern Pacific seastar (Asterias amurensis)
What to look for
- 5 arms with pointed upturned tips.
- Yellow/orange with purple markings & yellow underneath.
- Up to 50cm across.
- Soft sediment but also artificial structures & rocky reefs.
- Estuaries, bays, rock pools.
- Intertidal to 200 m depth (usually <25m depth).
- Prefers temperate but adapted to warmer waters.
- Aggressive predator of native species & economically important bivalves.
- Impacts aquaculture & fisheries.
- Port Phillip Bay Victoria
- South-east to north east coast from Researche Bay to Binnalong Bay and Banks Strait, Tasmania
What you can do
- Inspect & clean niche areas & antifoul boat hulls regularly.
- Clean & dry equipment before transporting & using in a different location.
- Ensure all aquaculture livestock is pest free.
More information on this pest can be found on the National Introduced Marine Pest Information System.