We work across industry and government to prevent, detect and control marine pest threats.
The Marine Pest Sectoral Committee (MPSC) coordinates a national approach to marine pest biosecurity.
Members of the committee:
- Australian Government (1 member)
- state and territory governments (1 from each state and the Northern Territory)
- New Zealand Government (standing observer)
- technical or scientific experts (observers as requested).
Chairperson is selected by the membership. They are appointed for a 2-year term.
Coordinate efforts across government. Develop a shared approach to stop to spread of marine pests.
Key activities to achieve this goal:
- advocate to government on the impact of marine pests on our oceans and marine industries
- develop, coordinate and monitor national activities to address marine pest risks
- provide scientific and policy advice on marine pests to the National Biosecurity Committee
- support and enhance national capacity to respond to marine pest outbreaks
- engage with stakeholders to support these objectives.
Read more about our work in our communiqués.
Committee meetings are held twice a year, face-to-face if possible. Extra teleconference sessions are held as required.
Member jurisdictions host the meetings. Secretariat support is provided by the Department of Agriculture.
Read the committee terms of reference.
We share responsibility for managing marine pests with national and local agencies.
Industry groups also take an active role. Stopping the spread of marine pests is good business for marine industries.
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Department of Infrastructure Transport, Regional Development and Communications
- Department of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Group
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority
State and Territory
- New South Wales: Department of Primary Industries
- Northern Territory: Department of Industry Tourism and Trade
- Queensland: Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- South Australia: Department of Primary Industries and Regions
- Tasmania: Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Victoria: Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- Western Australia: Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development